Code of Conduct
The Library Board of Trustees is committed to providing safe, comfortable, and enjoyable facilities at the main library and AIC and has adopted this Code of Conduct.
- Any conduct that disrupts the delivery of library services or hinders others from using library materials is prohibited. (Massachusetts General Laws, Ch. 272, Sec. 41)
- Any conduct that is potentially abusive or harmful to library personnel or patrons, materials or facilities is prohibited. Disruptive behavior, harassment, or hateful acts will not be tolerated.
- The use of false identification to obtain a library card or to check out library materials, or use of another person’s library card without his or her permission, is against state law. (Massachusetts General Laws, Ch. 266, Sec. 99)
- Theft, defacement, or damage of library materials or property is against state law. (Massachusetts General Laws, Ch. 266, Sec.99 and 100)
- Parents can be held liable for damage done by a child under the age of 18. (Massachusetts General Laws, Ch. 231, Sec. 85G)
- Smoking is not permitted in the Library. (Massachusetts General Laws, Ch. 270, Sec. 22)
The Weston Public Library, a “forum for information and ideas,” follows the American Library Association Library Bill of Rights articles regarding library service and collection development policy. Materials will “not be proscribed or removed because of partisan or doctrinal disapproval.” Attempts to censor or interfere with another’s use of library materials is prohibited.
Library/AIC staff are authorized to enforce this code, and to call for police assistance or contact a parent or guardian when necessary. The Library reserves the right to revoke or restrict Library/AIC privileges in cases of violation of the code of conduct.
Approved by the Library Board of Trustees, December 5, 2006
Amended by the Library Board of Trustees, April 4, 2022