- Town Services
- Public Safety
- Police Department
- Firearms Licensing
Firearms Identification Card (FID)
Residents must have an FID in order to purchase, possess, or transport a rifle or shotgun that is not a large-capacity gun; to purchase or possess ammunition or component parts of ammunition; and to purchase or possess defense sprays for anyone age 15-17, a license for which is not required for ages 18 and older.
License to Carry (LTC)
Residents must have a License to Carry Firearms in order to purchase, possess, or transport a handgun, large capacity rifle, or large-capacity shotgun. The License to Carry Firearms also authorizes a person to purchase, possess, or transport all guns and materials that would be covered by an FID. The LTC is the only license that allows the concealed carrying of firearms.
Where to Apply for an LTC or FID
The Licensing Officer, Lt. Mike Forti, schedules all appointments via an online scheduling software at https://meetings.hubspot.com/mike-forti Please DO NOT call the station for an appointment, and do not leave any paperwork at the Weston Police station. Appointments are available every Tuesday from 8:30am-1:30pm. Read here about the application, process, restrictions, and renewals.
The law exempts new residents from the state licensing requirement only for 60 days. However, one may not transport any firearm, rifle, or shotgun during that 60-day period, as the exemption is only for possession in the home while applying for the necessary license(s).
FID and LTC Application Information
- Applicants must be 21 years of age or older to apply for a LTC and 18 years of age (or 15 with parental permission) to apply for an FID card
- Strict eligibility requirements apply and thorough background checks will be conducted
- The fee for an FID or LTC card is $100
- The FID and LTC cards are valid for six years
- There is now NO REQUIREMENT to have any type of license for a person over the age of 18 who wishes to carry chemical spray, such as Mace or pepper spray. For persons under the age of 18 (minimum of 15), a restricted FID card is required
Application for FID Card or LTC
Download the state’s LTC/FID Application (PDF) from the Massachusetts Office of Public Safety and Security.